Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

aligning amounts on decimal points 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

krysna

Programmer
May 20, 2008
I have a report where I am displaying an amount. It is formatted to 2 decimal places. However, the customer wants the negative amounts to show the minus sign on the right "sticking out" to the right of the number so that the decimal points are aligned. I have another report where they want parentheses around the negative numbers. When I use a right-side minus sign or parentheses to show negative numbers, the decimal points no longer line up because of the extra character on the right. Is there a way to make the numbers align on the decimal point? Or do I have to do a bunch of extra work to convert them to strings with spaces at the end or put in an extra field to the right that's suppressed when the number is positive? Seems like Crystal should be able to handle this.

I think Crystal has its own ideas how things should line up and that you won't be able to change it.

A quicker method than using 'string' would be to have several overlapping fields. Use selective suppression to ensure that only one of them actually shows.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Crystal 10 & 11.5 with Windows XP [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back