Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alienware m51x-R1 Laptop - where can I get a replacement graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavm99

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2004
GB
Hi all,

A customer of mine has a home gaming laptop which is m51x-R1 which is only a few months old.

The graphics card has packed up.

He has been told my Alienware (although I have said to try harder!) that the graphics card isn't covered by their warranty - can anyone who has experience with Alienware confirm or deny this?

Also I can't any supplier who sells the Nvidia Geforce 8800M GTX graphics card for the laptop? Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Gavin Moorhouse

Interested in my personal blog?

I would speak directly to Dell as they own Alienware. Normally unless the card is specifically designed to be user replaced then the card is usually part of the motherboard. If the laptop is only a few months old then he should be speaking to Trading Standards and check the warranty more fully.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Alienware usually has discrete laptop graphics cards, but they're usually proprietary and must be sourced from the manufacturer. As far as I can tell Alienware maintains a distinct separate identity from Dell. According to:

Alienware Warranty said:
Alienware branded hardware products come with the option for a 90-day, 1-year, 2-year, 3-year or 4-year limited product warranty...To determine which warranty you purchased, please review your packing slip or invoice

So it IS possible that the machine is out-of-warranty. Weird, but what do you expect from aliens? [alien]

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back