Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alerters based in variables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cage

MIS
Aug 25, 2002
CA
I have a really basic problem which just seems impossible to solve in BO. Here goes...

I have a table within areport which has columns containing Client Name, Income, Cost and a cost income ratio. At the bottem I have a total. I am using Business Objects 6.1.

Client Income Cost CostIncomeRatio
Coy A 100 50 50%
Coy B 200 40 20%
Coy C 300 30 10%
Total 600 120 20%

I initially create a single variable to calculate the CostIncomeRatio, which I used for the individual Client & Total costincomeration.

<CostIncomeRatio> = -<cost>/<income>

However I wanted to add an alerter to the individual client CostIncomeRatio to colour it either Green or Red depending on whether it was greater than or less than the total CostIncomeRation (e.g 20% in the above example).

I then tried creating another variable solely to calculate the Total costIncomeration (using sum(cost)/sum(income)) but it did not work.

I also have a Global Filter set as I have several reports but for different regions (e.g US, Europe) and would like to use the same alerter on each report and change at will.

If this is not possible in BO 6.1 does anyone know if it is possible in 6.5?

Working with 6.5 the following does work nicely:

<CostincomeRation> = =<F3>/(<F2>)

<TCostincomeRation> = =(Som(<F3>) In Report / Som(<F2>) In Report)

If I create an alerter comparing these variables I get exactly what you try to achieve.

[ F3 = Cost, F2 = Income ]

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back