Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alert when a document is modified by n people

Status
Not open for further replies.

eman6

Programmer
Dec 7, 2004
CH
In a document library/SharePoint Services, is there a way to get SharePoint to email me when n people have modified a document?
even better, if I have a number of reviewers, without getting into a complicated review workflow, I'd like to know when all of them have given feedback into the document.
Another question: Can I get SharePoint to merge reviews of a Word (or Excel) document, received from a number of reviewers?
We want to let people comment on a document in parallel, so check-out/in is not very useful here.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
eman

Just complementing my previous reply, besides of using the library option ACTIONS - ALERT ME, you can also move mouse cursor over document name in the library, click on down arrow and on ALERT ME.

In summary, you can set alerts for the whole library or for a single document in the library.

I hope this helps.

Hi Ibrolim74
Yes, I know this option, but so far that I know, it does not give a counter, after how many people change this document to alert me.
It can alert me on 'any' change, which is not useful.
In the review process, I want to be alerted when all of the reviewers have actually updated the document and I don't want to be alerted each time one of them changes it.
See what I mean?
I think, probably, I can set that using SharePoint Designer.
Never done that before.

You can accomplish this with SPD. Use a workflow variable and do a calculation on it every time the document is modified. Create a condition that once the variable reaches x it sends you an alert via email. You may need to store that variable in a column as a number to get it to work.

As for your other question... I imagine there must be a way to make such a thing. You want something like the comments in an issue tracking list, right? Where it keeps track of each comment as if it were a post in a forum.

Thank you Robert for the reply, and thanks Ibrolim74 too.
The trick with SPD will have to wait till I have the time to try it.
As for the other thing, it's not enough to collect comments; this is possible with a workflow. But I need merging Word documents coming from a number of reviewers within SharePoint.

Well, actually, I would be more than happy to use this mechanism and even add some macro work to manage the document further. The problem is: that's not how my team wants to work. :(
Each of them would like to take a copy of the MS Word document, edit it as necessary (including deleting, modifying, commenting or adding text) and submitting the feedback. This used to be the case before SharePoint has been introduced. My role as change analyst and review manager was to gather copies of the original document from different reviewers, merge them using Word's merge feature and send the resulting merge to the author as one reviewed document. Then the author decides what to do about it to produce the final document. This is basically the workflow so far. Now I am trying to automate this as much as possible so that it would work even in my absence. This way each reviewer just have to upload his reviewed copy to SharePoint team review library and the workflow will do the rest, including: checking if all reviewers have submitted their reviews and if yes, then merging all documents and sending the result to the author.
There must be a way to define a workflow to do that, but I'm afraid this will need some additional scripting that is not readily provided by SharePoint or SPD either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back