Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

alert msg location

Status
Not open for further replies.

mici

Programmer
Jun 2, 2003
IL
Hi
I created a dynmic table (asp , sql db) when one of the columns is a "description" . The problem is that the description is too long so i want to show only first 600 characters and then only when the user mouse over the short description it will pop -up the full text. I could do it with "window.open" and had no problem , but because there are people who block pop-up-msgs , i prefer doing that with an alert type:
I used a script of showHideLayers() and placed a <div> with the description , but if i need to do that in a loop i dont know how to locate the dynamic "divs" in the page.
Also I tried to give the divs a dynamic "ID" from the DB and it the function didn't work.
Anyone has an idea?
Maybe a different way?

Another question- How do I cancel the under line of a link ?

Thanks

mici said:
Another question- How do I cancel the under line of a link ?
With CSS:
Code:
a {
 text-decoration: none;
}
Should be the simplest way.

As for the rest of your problems, I don't know if they really relate to this forum, or are they more of a Javascript and ASP problems. What with the dynamic ID does not work? You could use Javascript to float the divs next to the link. Also, check the overLib a great tool for custom javascript tooltips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back