Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alert Manager variables in email subject

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByteEater

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2004
CA
Anyone knows if it's possible to include variables in the email subject when configuring ALM 4.71 in ePo so I can quickly select alerts in the mailbox without having to open them all? I have created tons of rules in Outlook to classify alerts by threats but it becomes a nightmare to setup execution order of these rules without duplicating alerts. I installed third party software that deletes duplicate emails. It does the job but I'm trying to find a smart way of managing these alerts without having to assign 4 technicians full time on reading emails all day. We're only getting critical alerts but when you deal with 6800 computers, it generates a lot of alerts.
Running ePo 3.02SP2 with a mix of VS 4.5.1, 7.x and 8.0i.
How do you manage your ALM in you environment?

I looked at this for quite awhile and was never able to find an answer. Then, after rereading the AMG7.1 product guide, I found this paragraph from page 62.

"Also, be sure to only use system variables in message text and not in other text
fields in the Alert Manager interface. Do not, for example, use the %COMPUTERNAME%
variable in the From field of an e-mail alert. These fields are static text and Alert
Manager does not dynamically populate them with variables."

So, it would appear that with the exception of the message body, it doesn't accept variables.

I think the key words in this text are "and not in other text fields". I already read the product guide but didn’t really pay attention to these words. I guess I'll have to rely on Outlook rules.

Thanks for your post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back