Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alcohol 120% bugerred my CD-RW/DVD Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

umermalik

ISP
Mar 25, 2004
GB
Hi there,

Before installing Alcohol 120%, I was both playing and copying(using RecordNowDx software) without any problems. Once I installed Alcohol 120% I had problems with recording disks therefore I unstalled it. This uninstallation meant that I am no longer able to open any disks in the CD-RW/DVD COMBO DRIVE. Please note that the drive does appear in the My Computer menu of my WinXP however double clicking it when a working CD is put in shows that the CD is blank (have tried several different CD's).

I have tried to reinstall Alcohol 120%, and also deleted the drive and restarted to let windows redetect it, but still no luck.

Please can someone guide me as to how this issue can be resolved.

Thank You,
Umer.

The uninstall routine of Alchohol is just terrible.

. Create a system restore point

IN SAFE MODE:
. start Regedit then go to HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

. here you should fínd the Keys for the Alcohol Driver in the current version (1.4.8.1222) xmasbus.sys and xmasscsi.sys, delete these Keys

. remove the corresponding driver files from Windows\System32\Drivers folder: xmasbus.sys and xmasscsi.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back