Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alcatel SPeedtouch USB ADSL SBC Ameritech under Mandrake 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NGTV13

Technical User
Feb 6, 2002
US
Ok, so I recently got mandrake 8.1 and installed it on my new Dell Computer, which, under another, nameless OS, is connected to SBC Ameritech with a DSL modem (Alcatel Speedtouch to be exact)... Anywho, i've tried before, running slackware on a different computer to get the modem to work, with little to no success (i was darn close though). And, when i did it that time, i downloaded all of the drivers and every little thing i needed. But, when i installed Mandrake 8.1, it asked me what i'd like to use to connect to the internet. Either my NIC 10/100 card or Alcatel Speed TOuch USB... I chose Alcatel USB DSL, and it asked me for all the pppoe info (dns name login/password). This created some programs in /usr/sbin (adsl-start/stop/status/setup). When I type /usr/sbin/adsl-start it times out and dumps me back to shell. My thought for this problem, would have to be that I think that my NIC card is interfering with the DSL modem. Because, when I try to connect to my ISP (adsl-start) the lights on my hub flash.. in the adsl-setup program, it asks me what eth device I want to use (it defaults to eth0) but I think that that is for my LAN... and I can't seem to figure out what other options i can change to make this work... or if I just need to DL some files/drivers or something.
thanks in advance

NGTV|3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back