Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alcatel Pro ADSL Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

salimwng

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2002
MU
Hi,

I need some help from you guys. I have an ADSL Alcatel Pro Hub ( 512 K ). The connection of this modem is via Ethernet and NOT USB.

My problem is that someone working here previously did the installation on the PC, and few days ago i had a HD crash whereby i had to re-install everything. Though i got the DNS entries and IP address of the Modem, and entered this info in the DNS Tab of TCP/IP, i cannot still have any connection to the net.

I searched on the Alcatel Web site, but it does not mention how to go about the installation on Win2K or WinXP machine.

Can anybody please help me how to go about this installation ?

Thank you very much guys,
Salim

So they do have a static address correct? You didn't mention you got the gateway. You need the ip, gateway, and dns.

Typically you would contact the ISP for technical support. However, I can give you some tests if you like.

Once IP settings are correct, you want to ping your gateway. If that doesn't work, somethings wrong. Wrong setting, disconnected line, something.

If it does work, ping an IP on the web, I use gte's dns server 4.2.2.1. If that works, you are online.

Now ping If that works, then you are 100% ready to go. If still no pages, run the internet connection wizard in internet explorer. If you can't ping DNS servers are probably wrong.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Thanks for your reply Matt.

I do NOT have any Gateway here. I didn't find this info in the files. I tried to contact the service provider, but as usual, they are still sending a technician ( it's been up to 3 days now, no calls, no sign of any technicians ....the reason why i set out on tek-tips ).

The IP number of the Alacatel is to change any configuration if the need arise. Normally it's written here, "not to change".

As for the DNS entries, i have two IP numbers listed here and as mentioned above i enterred it in the TCP/IP protocol, DNS Tab. I came across the Gateway, but i don't know what to enter here ?

Where can i find this number ? Does the service provider that needs to give me this number ?

Thanks for your help.
Salim

Yes, call your ISP, ask them to verify your IP settings. Ask them for the IP, the subnet mask, the gateway, and the dns settings. You cannot get on the internet without a gateway setting, there is no need for a technician to come unless the line or modem might be at fault. You are missing the gateway, and I would verify everything else while you have them on the line.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back