Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alarm for Red Alert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayniematt

IS-IT--Management
Aug 5, 2004
US
How do I find out that a T1 is down when it goes down?

I can look through the history logs.
I can get a real time status by running the status command.

But is there a way to run a script that will email me, or dial my extension, or leave me a voice mail, so that I know the instant it happens?

Currently I have a script that asks the PBX what the status is for each T1 every half hour. I had an issue today that will make it helpful to parse through the history file every half hour too. But it would be nice if I could just get an alert when a T1 goes down instead of parsing through log files at static intervals.

The switch should spit out an error code when in red alarm. If you look at your history, you will find it. There is likely going to be more than one.

If you have a PC with Procomm on it, leave it connected and write a script that will email you or your cell phone or pager when it sees the error code.

There may even be a person looking at this post that has a modifiable Procomm script that will help you. If not, pose the need in the Aspect forum.

OH.....I forgot to mention. If you have an SEB or other similar site monitoring device on your PBX already, you can have it notify you various different way.

Is the SEB the thing that I have to give a password to in order to dial into the PBX? If it can notify me, can you tell me how?

It likely is. Usually a silver box. The person or vendor that setup the SEB must make the programming change for you. I do not have this knowledge.

if you dial in, use a password, the a couple of options (7,1) it's a site event buffer. and it can be programed to dial you with err codes.. you can use a script that waits for certain err codes then have it page you with that code. that's a pretty simple procomm feature. i've never found a script for sale, just write your on. knob over on the aspect script forum might know someone. he's the best around. i keep my switch up on the pc at all times, any error is taken care of when it happens. but the switch is my primary job

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back