Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AJAX 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

IT4EVR

Programmer
Feb 15, 2006
US
Is anyone using the Asp.net Ajax 1.0 yet that was released by Microsoft?

I don't see many posts on this forum for Ajax-related questions. Are people just not using it yet or don't find a use for it?

I've been exploring Ajax alot lately and have incorporated the ICallbackEventHandler because I think it offers a much more lightweight solution than the Ajax libraries.

I was able to update, insert, delete, select records on the same web form without a postback, which I thought was pretty cool. It involves writing some Javascript though, whereas the Ajax library abstracts most of that from the developer I believe.

I've been using it but not extensively. I've mainly just used UpdatePanel's to avoid full page postbacks and these are very easy to implement.

If you have the need for simple AJAX command without wanting to write the code yourself then these are great. However, I imagine that they will be over-complicating the process and one limitation is that your host needs to install the package so not everyone will support it.

Need help finding an answer? Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

it;s got some really cool features, as ca8msm says it really easy to implement ( well simple stuff anyway)

this is a good resource i've been using

I've been using it a lot and I like it (haven't written a single line of javascript yet!). We are replacing a desktop app with a web form and it's essential that the users have a postback-free experience for the most part. AJAX is turning out to be essential for this.

In addition to the basic System.Web.Extentions.dll, you really should get the toolkit dll, too, that has all the cool controls (accordian, tab-panel, auto-completes, etc) already built for you. You just need to include these two dlls in your bin (hosting server doesn't need to install the package).

The real challenge is how to structure the code behind... it requires a different way of thinking than the basic request/response pattern mindset that we're used to. Lots of fun...

Also, if I remember correctly, there was an issue with validation controls with the first full release as we had to implement a workaround (I think there was a validators.dll file we had to include). Not sure if this has been fixed or not yet so it might be one thing to look out for.

The controls that dragonwell referenced are great too. The only one I've had problems with is the AutoComplete control which only seems to like data being retrieved from a web service (as opposed to a page method) and for some odd reason seems to prefer C# over VB.NET (although I did get it working in the end).

Need help finding an answer? Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

I'll have to get around to using the AJAX extensions/etc. My main problem with it is merely the fact that it abstracts everything away from the developer to the point where you don't understand what it going on behind the scenes.

And there's a lot going on behind the scenes...

By using the ICallbackEventHandler and writing javascript functions, I was able to get a much more detailed understanding of the internals of how the XMLHttpRequest works in tandem with server side code.

I used this to create a TreeView control that represents the hierarchy of links for a corporate web site. The user can dynamically add, rearrange, delete treenodes without any postback, which is kind of neat. All the info is retained in an Oracle database.

Has anyone used this Reorder List control that comes with Ajax and can it be used for a nested list with parent, child relationship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back