Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX5.2 root mirroring

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyck

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
GB
Hello,

I have a need to mirror the root volume group (rootvg), can someone send me a straight forward dummy's guide on how to do this please?

I have been looking round the interweb and found stuff but each thing says something different :-(

Cheers

Nick

Nick,
First bring in the disk, after mapping the disk on VIOS, run cfgmgr and you will see the new disk.
Steps:
1. run cfgmgr
2. change the disk attributes if any (like hcheck_interval time etc..,)
3. extendvg the disk to rootvg by running extendvg rootvg hdiskX (where X=disk no)
4. now mirror the disk, mirrorvg -S rootvg hdiskX (-S flag tells to sync in the background). It will return soon, but will take some time to sync all LV.
5. now check for mirror, lsvg -l rootvg (you should see PPs=2) and LV STATE=open/syncd
6. if at all you see any stale LV's use syncvg -v rootvg and that should sync then.
7. verify the bootlist, run bootlist -m normal -o

SARFARAZ AHMED SYED,
Sr. Systems Engineer

Hello,

thanks for the quick response :)

Once all is mirrored do I need to also perform the following task?

• Run a bosboot on both new disks, this will install all software needed for boot on the disk
o bosboot -ad hdisk0
o bosboot -ad hdisk1

Oh, that was suppose to be my 7th step, I missed it and listed bootlist on it.

Any ways!! good luck.

SARFARAZ AHMED SYED,
Sr. Systems Engineer

me again,

So just to be 100% sure, do I run the bosboot -ad command on both of the root disks or just the mirror i.e hdisk1 ?

Cheers

Nick

No harm in running on both disk. Also make sure you see hd5 on both disks.
you can add by running bootlist command.

SARFARAZ AHMED SYED,
Sr. Systems Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back