Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX to LINUX migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron1940

MIS
Dec 14, 2000
US
I have a huge task ahead of me, and I was just wondering if anyone can help with any leads.

Here goes... We have a Risc/6000 server with AIX 4.3.3 which we will be migrating over to our new RedHat Linux Servers.

One of my tasks is to take all the user names and move them to the new server but at the same time check what accounts have never logged in or have not logged in for over a month. Those accounts will not be transffered. As well as recreating the usernames to match our "windows network account usernames". i.e. windows nt account is jsmith and unixid is johns - I need it to all be like the NT accounts.

If possible I would like them to some how be linked with the NT servers Active directory. I'm not sure if there is an easy way of making this happen.

Right now I am forced to make something happen so I am manually comparing unix id's to network ids, etc.

Please help
Thank you
Aaron M

I'm not sure about the active directory bit but...

If you run
Code:
perl -e 'my $onemonth = time() - ( 60 * 60 * 24 * 30); print $onemonth, "\n";'
You'll get the time in seconds one month ago
If you run
Code:
for i in $(cat /etc/passwd | cut -d : -f1)
do
  lsuser -a time_last_login $i
done
You'll get a list of last login times. So if you use
Code:
export OMA=$(perl -e 'my $onemonth = time() - ( 60 * 60 * 24 * 30); print $onemonth;')
for i in $(cat /etc/passwd | cut -d : -f1)
do
  LLT=$(lsuser -a time_last_login $i | awk -F = '{print $2}')
  if [ "" != "$LLT" ]
  then
    [[ $LLT -lt $OMA ]] && echo $i
  fi
done
You'll get a list of everyone who hasnt logged in for a month.

Columb Healy

FWIW - we had a client recently faced with the same problem. THey had about 50-75 users on WinXP Desktops. We recommended they install Novell eDirectory on their Linux server and they were then able to use the Linux box to autenticate ALL their users, including all the Windows people.

If you're interested take a look at
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back