Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX / sendmail within SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotbuff

MIS
Apr 19, 2002
US
We noticed that when sending mail from the command line via sendmail using the following command that there is roughly a one minute delay from servers residing inside the SP2 complex:

echo "test"|sendmail -vt scotbuff@company.org

Servers outside the SP2 complex send the mail immediately upon hitting the enter key. We are using sendmail 8.9.3 that ships with AIX 4.3.3 with an configuration file version 8.9.3, the output from this command is identical, no warnings no errors. I am not sure if there is anything further I can change with the sendmail configuration to stop this delay, but the delay seems to be caused by the servers being within the SP2 complex. The command actually hangs up your login session for that 1 minute period.

Does anyone have any ideas on what setting is causing this minimum of a 1 minute delay before sending the mail? Thanks in advance.

I think that you're experiencing a name resolution timeout.

What is your name resolution order?

If I recall correctly, SPs use some sort of internal convention - I think /etc/hosts?
sendmail wants to use DNS; it's a feature...

I think that if you change your lookup order, it should solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back