Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX Sendmail stopped suddenly

Status
Not open for further replies.

caillebotte2

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2008
US
Our AIX sendmail stopped this afternoon.

I ran mailq -v -d | more to see that there are many messages stuck in the queue.

I then stopped sendmail using stopsrc -s sendmail

Then I deleted some of the messages in /var/spool/mqueue (the oldest ones - right after the time it stopped sending mail then restarted sendmail using startsrc -s sendmail -a "-bd -q30m"

Still no luck... Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
John

When you say still no luck, do you mean sendmail is not running or the queue is not being emptied. Do "ps -ef | grep sendmail" to see if it is running. If not, check syslog for error messages. If it is running, it might be a problem with dns. If you run your own nameserver then stop and restart it. You can test this with "nslookup

Thanks for your response.

By "no luck" I mean the queue is still not emptying.

According to ps -ef | grep sendmail, sendmail is running.

DNS does not appear to be a problem - nslookup returns valid numeric IP addresses.

John

Try sending mail to someplace you know to be good using the following. This will detail all the steps and any error that is stopping it.

mail -v somebody@somewhere.com

Note that when sending mail this way you end the message with a CTRL-D.

# mail -v jhanna@opti-sys.com
jhanna@opti-sys.com... Connecting to server60.appriver.com. via esmtp...
554 Transaction Failed
>>> QUIT
jhanna@opti-sys.com... Connecting to server61.appriver.com. via esmtp...
jhanna@opti-sys.com... Closing connection to server60.appriver.com.
554 Transaction Failed
>>> QUIT
root... aliased to pg@atlantadental.com
/dead.letter... Saved message in /dead.letter
Closing connection to server61.appriver.com.

I don't think the problem is on your server but the SMTP relay or whatever it is you're trying to connect to. Can you talk to the people who own these?

-----
Cheers,
Henrik Morsing
Join us on irc://chat.freenode.net channel ##aix

Apparently something has changed on server60.appriver.com to prevent you from connecting to it. I assume this is where your post office is, and you have it set as the smarthost. You can try to
telnet server60.appriver.com 25
to perhaps see more info.

You need to talk with whomever controls server60.appriver.com.

Turns out you are correct. The issue is indeed external with the guys at server60.appriver.com.

Thanks for all your help.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back