Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX print to alternate printer when primary goes down

Status
Not open for further replies.

spconway

MIS
May 25, 2000
US
Happy holidays AIX gurus: Is there a way with AIX remote print servers to have a printjob automatically route to an alternate queue if the printer in the primary queue is down or in a connect state? Have looked over all forums but have not found a hint. I know I can have two printers in a queue and if one printer is BUSY the printjobs will route to secondary printer. At this time company is not willing to double up on printers. I am asking question here first before posting over in Unix Scripting forum.

I don't think there is.

You can set up multiple printing devices for a queue and have prints delivered in a round-robin fashion, but I don't think it does exactly what you're after.

All i can suggest is that you script something up that detects these queues and moves the jobs to the alternate queue...

There's a bit of a print guru that lurks on comp.unix.aix that might be able to help you out if no answer is forthcoming here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back