Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX OS backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

fissa

Technical User
Apr 10, 2002
AP
Hi guys,

i'm new to AIX system, i will like to backup the operation system directories only. take into consideration that (/, /var, /usr) are in different file system. by backing up this 3 directories is it sufficient or do i have to consider others?

does anyone come across a good websites that provide backup solution for different platform?

thanks.

Hi

Try man mksysb

If you're new to AIX, then I guess the concept of mksysb will be new also. It's an AIX-specific tool for performing backups of the O/S.

yes, indeed it is new to me, i'm currently using vx netbackup for my daily/weekly/monthly backup. mksysb might not be needed. that why i need to know which directory to included for my weekly/monthly OS backup. thanks

The advantage that mksysb has over standard filesystem backup is that it creates a bootable tape/dvd ; That along with savevg would allow you simply to insert the tape boot from OS CD/DVD then fully restore your system as it was before. Same IP address, same host name.... You only need to backup the root volume group (Use the command lsvg to list your volume groups) if you make a config change. Unless of course you have applications install on the rootvg.

Take a look at this doc

eval.veritas.com/downloads/pro/bmr/bmr-wp-rev071502.pdf

If you have Veritas Bare metal restore.

A detailed explanation of mksysb can be found on your system by using the command man mksysb

Mike

"A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back