Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenradium2001

Technical User
Mar 22, 2002
US
I want to learn AIX but I don't know where to start? Is AIX really OpenSource? If it is, where can I get it? If it isn't, maybe I can try to get it on ebay. However, do you really need to run it on an IBM computer? I'm pretty proficient in Solaris and Linux but want to learn AIX so that I can spread out my options.

Thanks for your help.

AIX is NOT open source, and you have to run it on RS/6000 hardware or possibly itanium (not sure if it is supported, but believe it is.)

AIX is NOT an open source and you won't be able to install on any PCs unlike linux.

So the way to learn AIX (don't have AIX RS/6000 at you home/work) is to go to this website
Where you find documents on AIX.
OR
Well the command are pretty much similar to Linux. However you will not be able to use smit (System Management Interface Tool) which is built in AIX to ease Administration.

Patrick

You can find cheapish RS/6000 computers on EBAY.

AIX is a million times easier to use than Linux and especially Solaris.

Cheers Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

I used IBM Redbooks when I learnt AIX (and still do) ...

ereshatezer, that is a useful site. Thanks for that

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always be where you've always been."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back