Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX-like mksysb for Linux Centos 6.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbix

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2003
CA
Hi experts,
I come from AIX systems where there is a system tool to create auto-installing system images for recovery purpose when every attempt to bring the damned system up goes wrong.
I would like to reproduce something like, only for well known systems with a specific and well known disk/partitions layout.
The main idea would be:
1) Create some tar images of the filesystems I need to rebuild
2) Create a script which run at boot time, which creates boot partitions, vg, logical volumes and install bootloader on boot partition
3) Create an ISO image with these tarballs, script,fdisk, all needed command and very minimal kernel.
4) Make this image bootable
5) Burn this image on DVD
I don't like to use anaconda, because I am trying to have an exact copy of the system taken at a specific time.
Can someone help me?

Check out - we use it for mass imaging of workstations but the same process should work for servers assuming you can get your systems to boot from the network adapter.

Build one system, image it, then you can dump it onto any number of chassis with similar hardware.

Thanks m4ilm4n, but I cannot use a network server.
I have to burn out the image onto a DVD, probably when running in single mode.
This should be a backup/recovery automated procedure to run before to install some critical system update.
I will check it out as well

There is CloneZilla Live I've not used it personally, but I know a man who has [bigsmile].

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back