Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX image backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

generaal

Programmer
Jan 11, 2007
ZA
Hi. I am in the process of decomissioning 2 AIX servers. One server does not have a tape drive, so I attempted a remote backup, using the following commands:
bosboot -ad /dev/rmt0 -b /tmp/1_bosboot.img
mkinsttape /tmp/2_mkinsttape.img
mksysb -e -i -p /tmp/4_mksysb.img

The first 2 backups work, but as soon as i try the third one, i get this error message:
0512-039 mksysb: WARNING: /mksysb/server/target/4_mksysb.img does not appear to be a tape device and will NOT have a bootable image.

I also get the following:
0511-079
0512-005
0512-040

I really need this done as it will be a huge cost saving to the company

If it doesn't have a tape then why are you running it on tape?

If you have a NIM server, export a file system (the one you keep the local handy mksysbs). nfs mount that file system, where you want to take the backup.

run # mksysb -i nfsmount/hostname.mksysb you can use -e if you want to exclude junk stuff.

I found out today that it is not a NIM client to the master server. Is it best practice to set it up as one and to then do what you suggested, as i just ran into some other problems when i attempted that. My point is, should i explore that as an option rather than something else?

To shoot a mksysb (backup) on NIM a server DOESN'T have to be a NIM Client.

Let us 1st concentrate on what is needed to successfully take mksysb.
1. If you are taking locally you need enough disk space.
2. If you want to take it remotely.
a. On tape.
b. On any NFS share (generally NIM server).

My two cents for option 1, because, it will be generated locally, and once you are done
you can scp the mksysb to NIM server or directly backup the mksysb using the backup software.
Also, to reduce the size of mksysb make sure you exclude the non critical stuff off rootvg by creating a file called 'exclude.rootvg' (and adding the names) under '/etc' file system. You will use '-e' flag to exclude the stuff (especially contents of '/tmp' file system).

Now coming to your next question, where a server has to be defined in NIM.
As a System Admin you want work more professionally and make it easy for you. NIM serves the same purpose for all the network operations like, OS installation, TL or SP upgrades, or even a single fileset installation. You can do much more with NIM.
It is a good thing to define a server as a NIM client, but it is not like if you don't the system crash or dont work.

If you have a NIM server, there should be a file system or atleast a directory called '/export/mksysb' where the Admins dumps all the mksysb or atleast the Golden Image.
If you are not sure or new to the environment, ask the existing Admins where they Dump the mksysb Image when they manually shoot the backup, and then scp the mksysb to that location.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back