Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX Hardening

Status
Not open for further replies.

drhaggett

MIS
Jan 21, 2000
CA
I was asked to investigate getting rid of srcmstr but when I axed the srcmstr daemon a whole bunch of weird stuff happened, I cannot find alot of documentation on what subsystems are or are not dependent on this daemon.<br>
Any suggestions or info would help.<br>
<br>
Holy hardening

I suggest you reinstate srcmstr immediately, it's the System Resource Controller, below is a bit of the man page.<br>
<br>
It seems to be a general resource controller and I don't think you can get away without running it.<br>
<br>
Regards<br>
<br>
Mike<br>
<br>
-- from the AIX man page --<br>
srcmstr Daemon<br>
<br>
Purpose<br>
<br>
Starts the System Resource Controller.<br>
<br>
Syntax<br>
<br>
srcmstr /usr/sbin/srcmstr<br>
<br>
Description<br>
<br>
The srcmstr daemon is the System Resource Controller (SRC). The srcmstr daemon spawns and controls subsystems, handles short subsystem status requests, passes requests on to a subsystem, and handles error notification.<br>
<br>
The srcmstr daemon is normally started by using an inittab file entry. <p>Mike Lacey<br><a href=mailto:Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com>Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back