Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX general Info 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanorac

MIS
Dec 20, 2000
GB
I'm new to AIX but have experience in HP-UX and Solaris and was wondering if anyone knows of any good sites which compare/contrast or show equivalent commands ... between AIX and other unix operating systems.

Hanorac,

FYI, most UNIX systems function the same and use the same commands. The major difference I've found between AIX and Solaris and Linux (the systems I use) is in filesystem architecture. As far as AIX is concerned the SMIT tool can do most system change functions for you or you can use it to help build scripts, whereas the Solaris equivalent (admintool) is not an equivalent and doesn't do the same things. Since I'm a command line guy anyway that doesn't bother me. But I did find SMIT useful when I was new to AIX and I recommend you study it and use it for the more complex tasks as it helps put the steps in the order they should be for the AIX system. I have found a good site with a large collection of UNIX SysAdmin related links that may contain the information you're looking for. It's located at
Hope this helps. Good Luck, I hope you enjoy AIX. And remember you can always come here for help from the myriad knowledgable people who visit.
Jon Zimmer
jon.zimmer@pf.net
The software required `Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back