Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX FTP script to send sub-directories to MS server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snug

MIS
Sep 5, 2001
US
I've tried to collectivly put together enough feed back from simular threads like this one, but I cannot do it.

I am trying to write a script in AIX to ftp a folder with sub-directories to a Win Server. I dont want to zip it into a single file, I would like to create a simple script to send the folder as is because the sub-directories can change. We will use this script daily.

Can anyone recommend a good command or script?

Thanks in advance.

How many levels of sub-directories?
It would have to figure out switching the /'s & \'s too.
It would have to create the directories on the Windows box if they don't exist.

Sounds like the zip and extract idea would be a lot easier.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Thanks. I agree, but we dont have the space for the zip option.

There will be 3 levels. It will have to create the directories on the target too.

Just a thought: get an inexpensive Intel box, download and install a free Linux verson, nfs mount the drive, then you would have plenty of space. Even a used machine from the last few years would have a 20 to 40 gig drive. How big will the files be? It could clog your network while doing the FTP.

Another thought:

You might even install the MS NFS software for the Windows box, mount drive on AIX box and zip to the Windows box.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

AIX 5.2 has builtin CIFS client
This is supposed to be included in lpp bos.cifs_fs

You can use "smitty cifs_fs" or

When you ha a Domain you can use this Command:
mount -v cifs -n workgroups/userid/password -o wrkgrp=EMEA -o uid=201,fmode=750 /workgroups /mnt

Greetings
Marco

You can use the included cifs client without samba!
You can directly mount a Windows Share.

You must only install the AIX Fileset bos.cifs_fs
It is on the AIX CD since AIX 5.2
It works!

Marco

Cool Thanks Marco didn't know that.

Mike

"A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant."

Just looked at the syntax

mount -v cifs -n winserver/myuser/mypassword /home /mnt

Can also "smitty cifs_fs"

Mike

"A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back