Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX DNS Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjgreen

Technical User
Oct 2, 2002
US
Can anyone tell me where I can get information on setting up DNS connectivity to an AIX server or which files I must change to have the AIX server use the DNS server first and then the host file? I plan to have the AIX servers use DNS; the DNS server is a NT server.

Thanks
RJG

RJG,
Setup your /etc/netsvc.conf file like the following if you would like the name resolver to use DNS then the host file.
Code:
hosts = bind, local
You will also need to make sure your nameservers are listed in /etc/resolv.conf

Hope that helps.

Usige, I tried the steps that you recommended with no luck. Here is my setup in the /etc/netsvc.conf and resolv.conf files. Let me know what you think. Also anyone else who may have setup DNS on your AIX server.

/etc/netsvc.conf
hosts=bind,local

/etc/resolv.conf
0.0.0.0 hubvpn01.hubgroup.com hubgroup.com
0.0.0.0 hubvpn02.hubgroup.com hubgroup.com

This is how it looks, the 0's represent the i.p addresses and are not really in the file that way. Let me know what you all think. Thanks in advance.

RJG

/etc/resolv.conf should like

domain yourdomainname
nameserver x.x.x.x

Thanks we2aresame. It worked perfectly.

RJG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back