Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

aix backup: getting 2nd volume to run 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

morgo4

Technical User
Feb 8, 2005
GB
ok, its simple enough, I have a backup using aix backup and the LTO library 3581 with 3580 drive. I have sequential mode running and the first tape is loaded manaully using seq start. The backup starts as expected, the 1st tape is unloaded and the 2nd tape loaded but our backup log records that a response is required 'Mount vol 2...press enter to continue'. As this is a scripted backup theres no way we can intervene to action the request. Does anybody have an idea how we get the backup to automatically write to the 2nd volume? (via a sub script perhaps?)

backup has a -q flag, but apparently that only works on the first volume. Whether it would work in this context I don't know.

An alternative might be to use a hereis file, something like:

backup command <<!!
<code for enter> (sorry, can't recall what it is)
!!

That might work in that it supplies the enter as a code (is it ASCII 03?) when it is required.

Don't know where the star came from, but thanks! You could try Ctrl V Ctrl M to simulate a return/enter in your script.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back