Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX backup command not overwriting tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ariochian

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2003
US
Hi all,

I have a control workstation hanging off of 2 SP model frames, MCA and PCI types.

each node remote copies a mksysb file over a filesystem on the CWS and then on a Sat. morning, the cws is suppose to back up the files onto tape, however I have been noticing the date currently this tape shows Apr. 21 was the latest backup and each file on that tape is Apr 21. why isnt the backup command overwritting those file with new ones?

here is the back up commanding script (cut from smitty used in a corn shell script)

please help if you can. the only thing I can think of doing is a tctl -f /dev/rmt0 erase on the friday night before the backup on Sat.

#MKSYSB
#SAVES FILES LOCATED IN "nodebkups"
#TO 8mm TAPE
x() {
ARGS=''
LOCAL=''
while getopts 'b:f:lps:v' OPTION; do
case $OPTION in
b) cd $OPTARG || exit $? ;;
f) DEVICE=$OPTARG ;;
l) LOCAL='-fstype jfs' ;;
p) ARGS=$ARGS' -p' ;;
s) SOURCE=$OPTARG ;;
v) ARGS=$ARGS' -v' ;;
esac
done
/usr/bin/find $SOURCE $LOCAL -print |
/usr/sbin/backup -iq -f $DEVICE $ARGS
}
x -f'/dev/rmt0' -s'/nodebkups/f1n1files/bos.obj.f1n1 /nodebkups/f1n5files/bos.obj.f1n5 /nodebkups/f1n9files
/bos.obj.f1n9 /nodebkups/f2n1files/bos.obj.f2n1 /nodebkups/f2n3files/bos.obj.f2n3 /nodebkups/f2n5files/bos.o
bj.f2n5 /nodebkups/f2n7files/bos.obj.f2n7 /nodebkups/f2n9files/bos.obj.f2n9 /nodebkups/f2n11files/bos.obj.f2
n11 /nodebkups/f2n13files/bos.obj.f2n13' '-l' '-v'

hmm don't know.. try asking in the AIX forum though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back