Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX 7 on a Power6 chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpn1

Technical User
Jul 9, 2007
US
With my customers starting to ask if my applications are certified to run on AIX7, I ve started to think about a scenario.

I have a Power6 520 express server, with a VIO partition and an AIX6.1 partition. I want to bring up another partition with AIX7

I know IBM offers the binary compatibility statement and I believe AIX7 will run on the Power6 chip; you just lose some of the advanced virtualization features you would get with the Power7 chip.

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with running AIX7 on a Power6 chip.

jpn1 said:
I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with running AIX7 on a Power6 chip.

No, but I have one AIX 7.1 LPAR running on an old Power5 system... 9113-550. The other AIX 7.1 LPAR's I have are running on Power7.

Haven't seen really any negative issues with it.

Regards,
Chuck

I haven't seen any AIX 7 on Power6, but it should run OK according to the AIX 7.1 specifications:

It says:
AIX 7 runs on systems based on POWER4, PPC970, POWER5, POWER6 and the latest generation of POWER processor, POWER7. Most of the new features of AIX 7 are available on the earlier POWER processor-based platforms, but the most capability is delivered on systems built with the POWER6 and POWER7 processors. The AIX OS is designed for the IBM Power, System p, System i, System p5, System i5, eServer p5, eServer pSeries and eServer i5 server product lines, as well as IBM BladeCenter blades based on Power Architecture technology.

So on a Power6 you should have almost all the features.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back