Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX 5.1 ML 4 --> AIX 5.1 ML 9 with system microcode update

Status
Not open for further replies.

cts123

Technical User
Feb 28, 2007
IN
Hi,

I have a machine which is of model 7038-6M2
The microcode is very old. It was never upgraded.
We had some issue with the CPU card and this point of time we have to replace the CPU card.
IBM is saying to change the CPU card the system microcode is required to be upgraded.
I have downloaded the latest patch BIN file and getting ready to do that.
The OS is runnning AIX 5.1 ML 4
After microcode update, is there any risk involved?
Do I need to upgrade the OS ML too right after CPU card change? If I look at the IBM site, there is no ML available for AIX 5.1 except ML9. Can I proceed with ML9 right from ML4? Is there any risk ..?

Need some concrete suggestion.

Thanks ..

Regards,

-Sam

Because 5.1 has been out of support for some time now IBM withdrew the fix support and now you can only get the final rollup package.
It is OK to go straight to ML9, that will get you ALL the fixes available.
You shouldn't NEED to update AIX if you are happy with the system as it is even with the updated firmware, but as above you may as well go for all the fixes as it is now out of support.

Thanks DukeSSD,

I am planning for microcode upgrade only. Let see after latest microcode upgrade it AIX 5.1 ML 4 runs fine w.o any issue, we will stick on that.

Don't know whether by upgrading the ML will affect the application running on top. We don't have support available for that application too.

Let see..

Thanks anyway ..and I will post the outcome.

I will do this exericse on coming Sunday maintenance window.

Regards,

-Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back