Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX 5.1 and Hyperterminal 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayDay03

Technical User
May 13, 2003
IN
Hello

Can you please help me? I have installed AIX 5.1 on a P-series 610 server. The installation goes well. But when the server reboots after installation complete i can not login to the server. I am using Hyperterminal of Windows 2000 Professional and connecting to server through serial port.

Thanks
Satish

Hello.
check that /var or /tmp is not full.
regards Boris.

Hi Boria

Thanks for the reply, i said i cannot login to ths system. is there any way to check the /var or /tmp?

satish

As u have mentioned "I am using Hyperterminal of Windows 2000 Professional and connecting to server through serial port" ... so why u can't check /var & /tmp as Boria mentioned.

Pls. post ur query in a little more elaborately.

Try to use alog -o -t boot to see whether all the services have started prpoerly or not.

It may be a problem of TCP/IP service. Since u have done fresh installation it is also advisable to check bosinst log by
alog -o -t bosinst ...

Best Regards,
vivek

I am soory to confuse you all, but i have installed freshly using hyperterminal. Now i can connect to the AIX box using hyperterminal. but it goes on asking console login. it did not accept any loing id and did not ask for the password

I hope this may explian the problem

satish

Hi Mayday,

Sorry you are having problems but I am glad reinstalling Hyperterminal allowed you to connect. I have one question. Is it asking to assign the console, or is it giving you the standard AIX login prompt. If it is asking to asssign the console, try preesing f1 or te 1 key that is above the q on the keyboard. If you are getting the standed login prompt try using root with no password.

Thanks Michael for the reply. It is giving me console login> prompt. i tried root; but it is not asking for password. like

Console Login> root <i pressed enter>
Console Login>

Mayday03

I understand your problem,the only cause of your problem is a Null modem cable.you are not using a null modem cable as per specification.It may hard to belief but that will lead you to solve this issue....

I have thought on it and appears quiet logical after i solved it.
so use a null modem cable......

that is it....

AIXBUFF

Against my best judgment here are some things to consider given your problems:

If you are running 5.1 patched to maintenance level 2, then you will need to upgrade all the critical files from bos.xxx to level .35 to avoid problems with running in 64 bit mode.

Check the baud rate of your serial connection.

AIX requires the DSR signal.

I just cant belive that... it was a cable problem... Thanks aixbuff.. thank you very much. The problem got solved...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back