Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Airport alternative for eMac wireless? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrymossman

Technical User
Sep 5, 2002
US
I have an eMac running OSX. Someone gave me a wireless router. My understanding is that eMacs use an Airport card that is no longer being made, although they are still available, e.g. from eBay.

Can anyone give me alternatives?

eMacs use either the original (discontinued) Airport or the newer Airport Extreme - depending on the processor speed and other things. If you have the manual for your particular machine look that up.

If you don't have it, go here
If you want an original Airport card you can get it here, for a price:

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Thanks. However I was looking for an alternative to the Airport card. E.g., some sort of ethernet bridge.

You want an ethernet to wireless router?

I don't know if I've ever heard of such a beast, but someone must make them...

harry
I used an ethernet bridge on my iMac G4 for a while -
worked fine, and I reckon it was better reception than getting a remaindered/2nd hand Airport card.

Sadly, in a re-organisation, I moved the router closer and swapped in an ethernet cable, putting the bridge on my Roku player instead. A month later, a spike on the line fried my router and the ethernet port, so I'm now reduced to a USB wireless adaptor : (

lex

soi la, soi carré

Thanks lex. The web page indicates that the product is for windows but it's worth checking with them.

It worked fine for me - there's no software to install, so it's platform-independent (some people use them with X-boxes, even).
A google on WGE101 should provide corroboration on use with Macs (note that typing 'mac' will bring in all pages mentioning Media Access Control, not just macintoshes), or check amazon.com for reviews.

soi la, soi carré

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back