Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AI/Program to understand text

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Does anyone know anywhere I can get a text recognition program? I want to make an AI program!

The first time I saw that sort of program was in 1982 (It was well-worn at the time but I had never seen it so I was very impressed). I think it was called &quot;Liza&quot;.<br><br>The big problem with creating an &quot;AI&quot; interface is that the work hasn't been done or published yet. There are no &quot;AI&quot; libraries that can be linked with QB to create a function called IfThisIsSoThenLetItBe(Params$). All of the nitty-gritty details fall into the lap of the programmer, who must write the code to respond to the user input to match the decisions of the programmer. Example:<br><br>ThisJustIn$ = &quot;Why is the sun round?&quot;<br>ThisJustOut$ = &quot;Because nature uses the least amount of space to express its designs (can you imagine a square sun?)<br> <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= plain black box</a><br>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;You could always fake it by searching their input<br>string for key words. But &quot;true&quot; AI...<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;There's a book &quot;the importance of being fuzzy&quot;<br>It talks about programming machines to make decisions.<br>But I mean for the real deal, like finding patterns in<br>written language and things like that its all you!<br><br>Good luck have fun! <p>Lupine<br><a href=mailto:RobertCorrina@patownsend.com>RobertCorrina@patownsend.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

We always tend to fake AI with dozens of IF THEN ELSE's.
I think the key is to make a program that sees, hears, feels...but does not know what to do with all this information yet. It should learn that.

Babies don't have a subroutine that says

IF TextHeard=&quot;goochygoo&quot; THEN SAY &quot;dadada&quot;

They LEARN.

One of my best friends is a research scientist at Yale... He was telling me about visiting MIT and they showed him an AI program that designs robots completely on its own.. It's completely automated too... He said they give the program input as to what the robot has to be able to do, leave it over night, and in the morning they finding some pretty strange creations --- stuff you couldn't imagine.. but the robots are fully functional and quite effecient at what they do....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back