Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AI Patterns 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyell

Technical User
Aug 5, 2007
US
I've created a number of tiling patterns in AI. Is there any way I could use these patterns in Photoshop?

Further to above -- I've tried exporting the pattern as a jpeg file, then using that file in Photoshop to define a pattern, but that of course gives me a pixilated version. Is there anything I can do which would maintain the crisp vector pattern?

...copy and paste or drag and drop to a smart object into photoshop allows scaling in photoshop without loss of quality...

...but as photoshop is a pixel based program you have to ensure you are using the correct resolution for the intended purpose, on output your smart objects become pixels, always...

...smart objects just allow flexibility for resizing if required later in the workflow, inside photoshop and also editing on the fly with illustrator by double clicking the smart object thumbnail...

...once you define a pattern in photoshop it will always become pixels at the size and resolution you define it at, nothing you can do about that, so you need to define the pattern the size you need in a document with the correct resolution and don't scale it up otherwise you lose quality...

...defining a pattern in photoshop at 300dpi, then using the same pattern on a 72dpi file renders it larger...

andrew

...so with the above in mind, your better off applying the pattern in an illustrator art board, then copy and paste into photoshop as a smart object, then if need to edit the pattern, double click the smart object to go back to illustrator, make edit, save, and it will update on the fly...

...much less frustrating than creating patterns in photoshop, then having to keep on defining patterns because they aren't quite right...

andrew

Thanks, Andrew -- I think you've just saved me some time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back