Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AGP + motherboard graphic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LocoPollo

Programmer
Jun 6, 2005
DK
I want to connect 2 monitors to my computer, for some office work. Right now I only have an onboard/built-in VGA port in my computer, so I wanted to buy an AGP card.

However the computer seller says that if I buy one of those it will disable the onboard "card", and I will end up with just 1 monitor again. Is that true??

He wants me to buy an AGP with a DVI and a VGA, but its alot more expensive, so what do I do?

Thanks!

As a second option, buy a PCI video card, not an AGP. Most MOBOS will allow a second ideo card, if it's PCI, but your MOBO only has *one* AGP bus... can't put two cards on one bus... it's like putting two feet in one shoe :)

LocoPollo,

Most Video cards in the low/midrange have support for Dual Monitors.

Many provide a std 15 pin VGA connection and a DVI connection

You can connect a monitor to each of these ports and setup in control panel and you will have both monitors functioning. This is supported by Win98 forward(maybe earlier but I can't recall).

If you don't have a monitor that will function on the DVI port some cards come with and there is an available adapter from DVI to VGA.

Here is a couple of links to low end 8X AGP cards that will do this, You can look at ATI, Nvidia, Chaintech and many other suppliers as they all produce them: You can also opt for a high end card if your use warrants it.

Card w/2 VGA D-Sub connectors

Card w/1 each VGA & DVI connectors

Adapter

Hope this Helps

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back