Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AGP Graphics card required

Status
Not open for further replies.

budgy

Programmer
Jan 4, 2005
GB
I want to get a really good graphics card, which i will use predominantly for video editing and gaming, what are the key things i need to be looking for...

Memory interface..
Core clock..
Memory clock...

theres a few on this site :

I need a AGP card.

Thanks

"He that asks a question is a fool for a moment, he that never asks a question is a fool all his life

Choose your budget
Then choose the most powerful card within that budeget.
Look:

These are very comprehensive charts.
Note* the need for pixel shader/model shader 3.0 (some of the lower end ATI's don't have it.

Also Note*
We are at a point of a new DirectX release!!
DX10 and DX10 compatible cards!
Only thing is: I don't think that there are any DX10 cards available as of yet! in AGP form.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Look at the games your planning on playing what do they require?

With that information look at the cards and find one that covers those requirements and will still give you room to grow. so if a game your looking to play recommends say 128MB of Video Ram to run start looking at 256MB that are within your budget. This will give you room to grow for newer games and such. Always go with the best card you can afford, its no fun buying the cheaper card only to find out it wont support a game you wanted to play.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

vacunita
Interesting take on things, if only it were that simple!
Let me give one example why going with the maximum memory amount does gaurantee the better performance:
Example:

A 256mb Nvidia FX5200 AND
a 128mb Geforce 6600GT

The 6600GT has only 128mb of memory but that memory is ultra fast DDRIII so runs at a much higher clock rate, this combined with a much more powerful GPU makes this particular card at least 3 times faster than the FX5200 even though that card is sporting 256mb.

Follow the link I gave, it gives a much more accurate overview of the performance of currently available graphics cards.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Your motherboard has AGP 8X does it?

How many watts is your power supply?

There's quite a good list of AGP cards versus the budget at

If you are lucky the graphics card manufacturers will talk about their power consumption, or about the power needed in your system to stand the supply to the card. For example ATI asks that your system has a 350W if you want to use a Radeon X1650Pro AGP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back