Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AGP Compatabilty 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpsitman

Technical User
Apr 17, 2007
US
I have an AOPEN AX4G PRO motherboard with a 4X AGP slot.
If I wanted to put in a 8X 256MB AGP card...will it work??
Thanks
John

Yes, but only at 4X.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

ok..as long as it doesnt blow up my machine. I figure 4x is better that the 64mb 2x I have now. Would you agree?

256MB over 64MB will make a lot of difference. Obviously it depends what applications/games you are running, and PCI-E is ideal, but we work with what we have!

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it!!

It is not just a matter of speed. AGP 4X and 8X do not work at the same voltages. If the graphics card says AGP 8X and not AGP 4X/8X I would not try to insert that card on the motherboard.

I was looking at upgrading my Dell Dimension 4400 video card. From what I have read that the Dell takes a AGP 4x card. I am running 64mb INVIDIA. Dell rep recommends me to upgrade to a FX5500 GForce PCI. I am running a 250mhz psu with a Pentium 4 process at 1/6ghz internally and 400 mhz externally. My RAM is at 756MB Ram. I was told that there are not many cards available to upgrade with AGP that is compatible with my system except the Dell 4400 which will run good as PCI vid card. he stated that the FX5500 GForce PCI is a good top card to use and I will have no issues with it. Do you agree? Are there other cards that would work good for an ok gammer like Infactions (medeival on-line game doing battle and saving the world)? Thanks for any replies.

AGP 8x cards will work at reduced speed as far back as 2X slots but not 1x slots. You have to look at the specs on the card, though. Some faster cards work better than others in a 4x slot. An extremely fast card may actually overrun the bandwith capacity of the slot and cause a slowdown. I run a Radeon X1600 Pro AGP in a 4X slot and my benchmark scores lag noticably behind others on the 3dmark website running the same card on a similar system in an 8X slot. Anything faster than that would probably be a waste of money at 4X speeds.

It looks as if I have a 4x/2x model at 1/5 v. AGP bus speed is 66mhz

you can still get the all in wonder in AGP format with tons of ins and outs. The thing to be careful with when using AGP is have alot of ram. Too much ram can cause memory conflicts when using older ATI agp cards. I have one and it works fine with 512 megs.
The all in wonder 9600 agp all in wonder is available here; tons of goodies with the pkg.

I just installed a 9800 in my box and it works great. The only thing is installing the the software takes about an hour. but having a tv as background is pretty cool. Again, getting current drivers from ATi is the thing, then burning to cd PLUS you have to have Net 2.0 at a minimum to install the drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back