Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AGP CARDS NO LONGER FITS THE NEWER MODEL MOTHER BOARDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhar25

Technical User
May 4, 2001
US
Some of AGP type Video Cards I have purchased paying big money not too long ago, Now no no longer fits in the newer Model Mother Boards. Was I doing doing something wrong?

Is there a way to still use them in the newer Motherboards.
For this reason I have been purchasing only PCI type graphic cards. I wish I can find a way to make the best use of AGP cards without going to eBay to sell them. These AGP cards are only 2 to 3 years old.

If you are refering to the latest MotherBoards, then no your AGP cards will not fit - as far as I am aware, there is no AGP slot anymore. AGP is now a dead duck, having been replaced by PCI-E cards for desktops.

Where you doing something wrong? - well that depends on what your future intentions were when you bought the AGP cards(s).
If they were to go in an existing or older MB, then no, you were not doing wrong. However if the intention was to buy it/them to put in a new model MB, then you need to research your choice of MB first, then see what Peripherals fit to it.
Learning is sometimes a painful and exspensive business.

dhar25,

No you are not out of luck, there are plenty of MBs that still support AGP8X:

is only an example. Keep looking at the top of "Sort by Price" and you may see others, as older buses are cheaper.

Tony

Thank you thats what I thought.
When I bought my AGP card 2 to 3 years ago at $120+ and up, I didn't think that they will go obsolete in a few years.

Finally, I end up in using one of PCI card I purchased at the same time on a brand new ASUS board.

Looks like PCI slots are here to stay for a while.

dhar25,

Do you mean PCI-Express (PCI-E) or PCI? AGP will outperform PCI, the PCI bus is also being replaced with PCI-E slots at different speeds (x1, x4, x8, x16 etc.). Don't get me wrong, AGP is a legacy bus and will disappear shortly along with PCI (remember ISA slots???).

I am saying that there are still some choices, but they are dwindling daily.

Tony

Tahnk you good information.
I am like a returning customer form Sock A M.B to now 3 years later to a 64 bit processor and MO, only because I had to replace someone's older motherboard so I was sort of stuck with a AGP card.

I will be careful and will do good research on graphic cards depending on the newer MO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back