Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AGP card detected as PCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggeroo

Technical User
Apr 5, 2001
DK
My video card is an HIS Geforce2 MX400 64MB, my problem is that in Windows (2000 pro) the card is reported to be a PCI card. I have had several programs detect it as PCI, when I can see that they would be able to detect an AGP card as AGP. Also in DxDiag the "AGP Textture acceleration" is disabled and greyed out.
In Device manager, the PCI to AGP bridge and the graphics card is not located on the same bus (it says somthing like: Location: bus1, device0....). The bridge is on bus1 and the card on bus0.

I have installed all the latest motherboard/AGP drivers that I have been able to find, but to no avail. Please help me with this as it is driving me nuts!

A simple suggestion:

Get the latest DirectX 8 from Microsoft for Win2k.
> Next: go to download the latest
GeForce drivers........ in an EXE format and run those.

* Last: this is totally a guess,,,,,, since I have never seen this make a difference:
Is the BIOS set to AGP as the primary video ?

* I would have suggested mainboard drivers, like the Via 4in1, or the latest Intel drivers but you say that you covered that issue.

If you write back, please include more hardware information,,,, about the mainboard and processor, etc.

Jake

I thought that I would follow up on this post, even though it has been some time, as the problem still exists.

Here are some additional info on my system:

AMD K6-2 500 MHz
Acorp 5ALI61 motherboard
PCI Sound card (Noname)
ISA NIC
PCI internal lucent winmodem

I have tried disabling and physically removing all of the non-essential cards, but no effect.

I have read a lot about the Via 4-in-1 drivers, but I don't suppose they apply to my m/b as the chipset is from ALI.
I am currently running the latest Nvidia detonator (23.11 I think) and DirectX 8.1.

Sure hope someones pick this thread up again, as it would be extremely nice to get the most out of my increasingly antiquated machine :)

Did you verify that your primary video was set to AGP?

Also, is your BIOS and motherboard drivers up to date?

I have a K6-2 300 on an A-open motherboard and had similar problems with trying to use an ATI Readon VE 32 MB video card. On some of the older motherboards, you had to set up the USB devices in the BIOS before the IRQ's needed for the AGP slot could be utilized. This allows the GART driver to set up the resource table needed to run an AGP card. I never did get it to run at full speed because the motherboard was not able to handle the AGP 4X speed. I have also read that a newer operating system may be needed to take full advantage of the AGP video cards.

Face it, if you want to play the newest games, it is time to upgrade your motherboard and CPU. I would bet your motherboard is not able to do 4X AGP speed or needs special tweaking. I think they should just build the motherboard around the video card. If they did the motherboard would be designed to take full advantage of the video accelerator. If the mother board costs $120 and the video card cost $200, the cheaper item should be made for the more expensive item. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

As long as you are getting video, it doesn't matter. If you can see its using your AGP card. Use something like SiSoft Sandra to check the AGP transfer rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back