Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

aggregated links across 2 different units in the same stack

Status
Not open for further replies.

lambent

Vendor
Dec 28, 2003
A2
I'm using 2 SS3 4228 which are stacked together and each has 2 GBIC ports (Port 27 and 28)

Is it possible to configure an aggregated link using 1:27 (unit 1 port 27) and 2:27 (unit 2 port 27)? Or I must use 1:27 & 1:28/2:27 & 2:28 for the aggregated link?

Thanks for help.

You can link using port on different units in the stack. Latest code for the 4228 is 2.03. If the other end of the aggregated link can also used LACP then this is the best way to set up an AL. Enable LACP on the ports that you want to use, then connect the cables. Do not connect the cables first and then enable LACP or this can cause problems.

So your AL1 would have ports 1:27,2:27 for example

hmm I've read some docs and did some tests on some 4228G and I found that there are 2 ways to do AL:

1) LACP:
- can link ports from different units in the same stack
- but only 1 active port in the AL

2) Manual:
- cannot link ports from different units in the same stack
- not sure if all the ports can be active in the AL (cos I gave up using this feature...)

At first I thought it is some kind of Cisco-EtherChannel thing, but well, maybe AL is not working well in 4228G.

Anyway thx for help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back