Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aggregate function question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BomberMan2K

Programmer
Sep 19, 2007
IL
Hi,
I've got a problem with SQL in Access (though this is not an access issue) and I'd be glad to get some help.

I have 2 tables. the first is Table1, the second Table2.
Table2 has the Table1.id and a "place" counter for each item (for placing items in a menu and allowing to move it).
Now, when I add a new item to Table2, I check the maximum value for Place for the Table1.id I need to insert to, add + 1 to it and add the new item with the new "place" field.
The problem is when I insert new entry in Table1. When I run the "Max(place)" query in Table2 - I don't see anything for this entry (because it has no items for the new Table1.id I've just added) so when I need to add a new item I use this script:

qryMaxTable2:
"SELECT Max(Table2.place) AS Maxplace, Table2.table1id
FROM Table2
GROUP BY Table2.table1id;"

Insert Statement (used in ASP.NET Form):
"INSERT INTO Table2(name, table1id, place) SELECT @name, @table1id, maxplace+1 FROM qryMaxTable2 WHERE table1id=@table1id"

The problem is that the new table1id doesn't return any items and thus "maxplace" is empty and the code doesn't work (ASP.NET) - So I can't use the newly added entries to Table1 in Table2.

Would appreciate help in solving this.

Thanks,
Roman

qryMaxTable2:
"SELECT Nz(Max(Table2.place),0) AS Maxplace, Table1.table1id
FROM Table1 LEFT JOIN Table2 ON Table1.table1id=Table2.table1id
GROUP BY Table1.table1id;"

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Nope.

Thank you for your help - but it still doesn't see the new item.

I think an aggregate function doesn't return a null, rather it returns nothing at all in such circumstances.

Thanks,
Roman.

And this ?
"SELECT Max(Nz(Table2.place,0)) AS Maxplace, Table1.table1id
FROM Table1 LEFT JOIN Table2 ON Table1.table1id=Table2.table1id
GROUP BY Table1.table1id;"

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Still not...
Seems like the LEFT join don't work?????

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Actually, you don't need the join... I just care about the Table1id - so I don't really want the join.
I've checked and the results are the same with or without the join... so the problem is not there.

It seems like an easy problem :)) but it's not...

the results are the same with or without the join
Could you please post the code you tested with the join ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back