Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AGFA Accuset 1000 "RIP Boot Error" & "Spin Motor Error& 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmer

Technical User
Mar 23, 2004
US
I am using an AGFA Accuset 1000 imagesetter with an internal STAR RIP. I have been getting the "RIP Boot Error" and "SPIN Motor Error" messages on a increasing basis. Rebooting the Imagesetter usually clears the error, but not lately.

Does anyone know exactly what these errors mean beyond what is described in the manual? The manual is of very little help addressing these errors. And, is it possible to fix these errors without having an AGFA field service rep come out to look at it?

Thanks!

Have you found a solution? I am running an Accuset 1200 with internal rip and until today restarting got me past the initial "rip boot error". Agfa wants $1,250.00 minimum to visit! Very interested in hearing from you.

Lionfan,

Unfortunately, I have not found a way around the RIP Boot Error. I have stopped shutting down the imagesetter on a daily basis and only shut down for the weekends.
Did Agfa tell you what may be the cause? I have emailed Agfa twice posing this dillema and they have never replied. Very Frustrating.

Kramer

Kramer,

Thanks for responding. Agfa won't talk with me unless I give them $125.00. And, they want $1,250.00+ to come here and diagnose the problem. I am completely shut down on my 1200. My brother has an Acuset 1000 which I can use but he's 30 minutes away.

The spin motor error message sound a little familiar. Have you tried the "motor cleaning" procedure?

When I find a solution for the rip boot error I'll post it here.

Thank you,

Lionfan

Karmer,

I'm up and running! I found a fellow on the web that services Accusets: Matt, Computer Service, 908-239-8805, 109 Parkside Lane, West Creek, NJ 08092.

Matt suggested I try a new rip drive, as that would be the least expensive fix. He sold me one formatted for the Accuset and loaded with the correct software for $435.00 including overnight shipping. It worked!

Best regards,

Lionfan

Lionfan,

Thanks for the info. I'll make a note of it.

Kramer

Matt is a good guy, I use him for parts and information.
Spin Motor errors indicate that the Spin Motor (this is what rotates the prism in the laser a very high speed) is going bad and needs to be replaced.
Power Supply problems can also cause Spin Motor errors if the power supply is not putting out a constant 12 volts.
Spin Motors last 3-5 years and are the most common part failure on AccuSets.
Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back