Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Agere AC'97: is it able for voice communication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

engoci

Technical User
Jan 25, 2008
PE
Hi,

My IBM ThinkPad T40 came with an Agere Systems AC'97 built-in modem. When trying to use the computer as a phone apparel (having my regular phone line wire connected to modem port and using dialer.exe from Windows XP), I could effectively dial a regular local phone number from my address book, hear the destination phone ringing and even hear the voice of the person who attended the call... but this person was unable to hear my voice. My laptop has built-in microphone and speakers that work fine, and the modem has been working properly when used in my dial-up Internet connection, so I didn't understand what the problem was. So here are my questions:

a) May it be a software problem? Should I look for some other software?

b) I did try by using a different software. While installing it, a configuration message appeared, saying that it didn't find any voice modem, although AC'97 was marked as default. Is it true that Agere AC'97 doesn't support voice communication?

c) If the answer to b is "Yes, it doesn't support": is there a way to enable this function? Maybe with a new driver? Maybe with a corrective patch or something?

Thanks for any advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back