Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Age asof June 30, ???? Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

burcher

Technical User
Apr 26, 2004
US
I am trying to calculate a persons age as of June 30, [UDSyr]. The [UDSyr] field is entered on the report form in an unbound text box and is used by several other queries. My age calulation was:

UPDATE [UDS Age & Gender Table] SET [UDS Age & Gender Table].Age = DateDiff("yyyy",[DOB],Date());

What's the best way for me to have this sql use 6/30/[UDSyr] instead of Date()

Use the following for your update query:

Code:
UPDATE [UDS Age & Gender Table] SET [UDS Age & Gender Table].Age = DateDiff("yyyy",[DOB],Int((DateDiff('d',[DOB],DateSerial(CInt([Enter Year:]),6/30) )/365.25)));

I think this should do it for you. I wasn't sure just where this year value was being stored. Whether it was a value from a form where you are calling this SQL to be run or from a table. The above code just prompts you for the year entry and then the DateSerial builds the date for you.

If you have a form with a control to enter the year value then just substitute the long format reference to the forms control for the DateSerial function.

Code:
UPDATE [UDS Age & Gender Table] SET [UDS Age & Gender Table].Age = DateDiff("yyyy",[DOB],Int((DateDiff('d',[DOB], FORMS![[i]yourformname].[controlname[/i]]/365.25)));

Bob Scriver
[blue]Want the best answers? See FAQ181-2886[/blue]

Bob,
I've tried it both ways you have above and I keep getting a syntax error.
My situation is more closely suited towards your 2nd code since I have them enter the year like 2003 or 2004 in the unbound text box [UDSyr] on the [UDS Report Form], then they push a setup button which uses this number to setup the rest of the data. Here's what I tried
UPDATE [UDS Age & Gender Table] SET [UDS Age & Gender Table].Age = DateDiff("yyyy",[DOB],Int((DateDiff('d',[DOB], FORMS![UDS Report Form].[UDSyr]/365.25)));

I can see in your first example where it takes the 6/30th parameter into consideration, but how does it know it in the 2nd?
Thanks

Sorry about the typo:

Code:
UPDATE [UDS Age & Gender Table] SET [UDS Age & Gender Table].Age = DateDiff("yyyy",[DOB],Int((DateDiff('d',[DOB],DateSerial( FORMS![[i]yourformname[/i]].[[i]controlname[/i]],6,30)/365.25)));

I think will do it for you.

Bob Scriver

Bob,
I was getting a sytax error, so I added another ) to the end of it and it ran the update, but now it is saying that a person born on 9/8/1969 is -139 years old and a person born on 5/30/1969 is also -139 years old, so not only is the age incorrect it is not using the 6/30 as the age os of that date. The value in the FORMS![UDS Report Form].[UDSyr] was 2004. What do you think is the problem? Did I put the ) in the right place? This is what the sql looks like on my end right now:
UPDATE [UDS Age & Gender Table] SET [UDS Age & Gender Table].Age = DateDiff("yyyy",[DOB],Int((DateDiff('d',[DOB],DateSerial( FORMS![UDS Report Form].[UDSyr],6,30)/365.25))));

Try this one. I am sorry but I put the Age calc in the wrong spot.

Code:
UPDATE [UDS Age & Gender Table] SET [UDS Age & Gender Table].Age = Int(( DateDiff('d',[DOB],
DateSerial(CInt(FORMS![[i]yourformname[/i]].[[i]controlname[/i]]),6,30)) /365.25));

This one has the correct number of parens that should match and calc the age property using your Year control value from the form.

Post back with results.

Bob Scriver

You the man Bob, Worked perfect. I appreciate your help

This was a fun one. Glad that I could help you get it working correctly.

Bob Scriver

While not a succinct as Bob's statement(s), there should be a procedure [basDOB2Age(Dob As Date, Optional AsOf As Date = -1)] ? somewhere within these fora.

MichaelRed
mlred@verizon.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back