Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

after visiting BlueMountain.com, Win XP computer keeps rebooting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellohello1

Technical User
Jun 30, 2006
US
Hello,
I have Window XP Professional, SP2. Someone sent me a BlueMountain.com card, and after viewing the card, Firefox gave me a few: 'file not found' pop up messages. I could no longer go online so I decided to reboot. But then Windows got stuck in a reboot cycle. It got to the Windows splash screen, but then would reboot again and again. I disabled 'automatic restart on system failure' and found the error. It is:

Stop: C000021a (fatal system error), 0xC0000135.

I am not able to boot into Safe Mode or 'Last known good configuration' or 'Debugging Mode'.

I have my Windows XP installation CD. I went into the BIOS and changed my boot record to boot first from CD/DVD. I put my Windows XP CD into the DVD drive and rebooted, but it didn't boot from the CD.

I am able to access the Windows Recovery Console (it's installed on my computer). From there, I ran chkdsk c: /r and chkdsk c: /p. Got a message 'found and fixed one or more errors on the volume', but it didn't fix my booting issue. I ran checkdisk again until it found no errors. But that didn't fix my problem. I tried typing fixmbr /device/hardisk0, but no change. I tried typing copy C:\windows\system32\dllcache\win32k.sys c:\windows\system32, but no change. I tried to extract a new copy of the Kernel32.dll file from the Windows XP CD, but no change.

I tried turning off my computer, unplugging the power cord, then pressing and holding the power button down for 30 seconds, then reattaching the power cord and turning on the computer normally. No luck.

Can I run malwarebytes or hijackthis or ccleaner or spybot from the Windows Recovery Console? If so, how do I do this since it seems the Windows Recovery Console has limited commands. I don't see a 'run' command.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

While in the recovery console, you could also try the fixboot command

As for running AV, anti-spyware, etc, I don't think you'll be able to. If you were able to mount the hard drive as a secondary in another machine, you may be able to scan it with AV software

try booting from Hirens boot CD (Download Link here)

You can boot to a DOS based enviroment, or a Windows PE enviroment, both are very useful to help you repair and recover your install.

I would also recommend installing SP3 on your XP as well.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

Totally coincidental that you visited BlueMountain and then had a problem MOST LIKELY.

First things first - run the manufacturer's hard drive test (could be dieing) and run a memory test. Either of those can make systems do crazy things.

Then, I have to tell you that I've NEVER fixed a C000021a error without a windows reload. You could do a Windows repair install also as an intermediate step vs. a full format/reload from scratch.

If you want to run an anti-virus scan, you can use this Microsoft bootable tool. There are other ways to scan using BartPE with a Mcafee plug-in, but it gets complicated. I don't think the problem is malware if I had to bet $100.

Thanks for writing everyone. My problem is fixed!

tootiredtocare: I tried the fixboot, but it didn't work.

hairlessupportmonkey: Per your advice, I downloaded Hirens. It took me a while to realize that no matter what I tried, I couldn't boot from CD. (I went into the BIOS and changed the boot order to CD, but it wouldn't boot from CD. I tried hitting F11 (BBS Popup), but CD wasn't listed as an option). So I ended up loading Hirens onto a USB stick and was able to boot that way. But i realized I couldn't use my Windows CD to repair Windows because the CD wasn't recognized as a boot device. Using Hirens, I ran a memory test which came back fine. (I actually do have Windows XP, SP3. I had mistakenly said I only have SP2. Sorry)

goombawho: You said to run the manufacturer's hard drive test. I'm not sure how to do that...I did run chkdsk /r and chkdsk /p...is that the same thing? Also, using Hirens boot, I ran a memory test which came back fine. I don't know for sure that bluemountain.com caused my problems. I can only assume because it took a really long time for the e-card to load and my problems started right after I closed the website. It's weird because I know it's a reputable company and my friend that sent me the e-card says she actually pays for a premium subscription.

madonnac: i looked at that microsoft website, but had trouble following their directions. I can't get into regular DOS--I only had the Recovery Console. So since the Recovery Console has limited commands, I couldn't get past the first step: "At a command prompt, type System Root\System32\Drwtsn32.exe -I, and then press ENTER." When I did that I got an 'unrecognized command' message.

But somehow my problem is fixed!! I'm not exactly sure how. Someone thinks using the Hirens boot USB loaded missing system files so that it could work correctly and boot into the Desktop. Using Hirens, I loaded 'Mini-Windows XP' and ran an ADwCleaner and ESET scan. I thought the scans just reviewed the computer and didn't make changes, but maybe they did something. Or maybe just using Hirens fixed it.

Anyway, thanks again to all for writing. I'm not sure how it happened, but my problem is fixed!!!!

Someone thinks using the Hirens boot USB loaded missing system files so that it could work correctly
NOT automatically it didn't. Pure coincidence, again.

Prediction: without a solid reason for the problem going away, it may come back. Not a bad idea still to run the hard drive test and other malware scans. A CHKDSK is NOT the same as the manufacturer's test.

Running the manufacturer's hard drive test involved two steps. Going into the BIOS to see what brand of hard drive you have. Second, you have to either create a bootable CD or floppy with the tool on it or download the ultimate boot CD which has most of the major brand tools on it.

You have to burn the CD correctly as well - an image to a bootable CD. Maybe the same reason you had a hard time with the Hirens CD.

goombawaho: thanks for writing. you're right about the hard drive having problems in the future. i am going to buy a new computer soon anyway.(my husband wants a Intel i-7 core! now we have a dual processor so the new machine should be faster).

my current hard drive is a Seagate. but i don't think i want to boot up from another device if i don't need to (don't want to jinx anything :)).

I created a post on a malware forum and someone helped me run lots of malware scans: some scans from Noahdfear.net, scans using virustotal.com, Kaspersky, AdwCleaner, ESET, MBAM, DDS, Security Check, Bit Defender scan, ComboFix, Spybot Search/Destroy, Ad-aware, Norton. All scans have come back clean.

i burned the Hirens as an image. i followed the instructions on their website. but putting the cd in the drive and hitting F11 (BBS Popup) didn't show the CD drive listed as an option. it only showed my floppy, my 2 internal hard drives, and my usb stick. i also tried going to the bios and setting the CD as the 1st, 2nd and 3rd boot order, but it didn't do it. oh well.

If you can't see the optical drive in the list - it may be dead?? Is it listed in the BIOS? If a SATA optical drive, is the port it's plugged into ENABLED in the SATA menu?

but i don't think i want to boot up from another device if i don't need to (don't want to jinx anything)
Just by booting to a boot CD, you can't do anything to the computer. A Windows OS disc - yes, you can overwrite your O.S/Data but the boot CDs we were talking about are purely for diagnostics. Have no fear.

Besides, don't you want to know if that hard drive is okay to be used again somewhere else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back