Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

After repairing Inbox, Unable to receive mails...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvk5950

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2010
GB
Hi,

I am using Outlook 2007 on my XP machine. Exchange server 2003 is configured on SBS 2003.

One of the account got the message about curruption of the .ost file. So I repaired the ost file with Inbox repair tool - Scanpst.exe

After repair I came to know that the account is getting any new messages. I tried to reduce the size of my ost file as it was 2.7GB. Tried creating a new profile, Tried changing the authentication for the account, But that didn't help either.

I am frustated now as I am trying this from last 2 days. And the mails are very important.

Thanks for your time.

Well I can't delete the .ost file as this is the only copy where all my emails are stored.

But I changed the name of the ost file and used a new profile, but it didn't help.

The setup is bit complecated. There is a Mdaemon Mail server configered for the whole organisation. For just 2 out of 50 mail accounts are configured on seperate Exchange server, by creating the POP3 connector for 2 accounts.

This is why I can't delete my ost file.

Well I can't delete the .ost file as this is the only copy where all my emails are stored.
I don't see how that's possible. An .ost file is nothing more than a copy of what's in the mailbox. If you're not connecting to an Exchange server, then you'd be using a .pst file.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

The 2 users are connecting to exchange server. but the exchange server is fetching the mail records from Mdaemon, through POP3 connector.

that is why for these 2 users there is .ost file.

Then the mail is still sitting on the Exchange server. As mentioned before, the .ost file is a COPY of the mailbox, and ONLY EXISTS when Outlook is in cached mode. Putting Outlook into Online mode would see mail on the server directly (bypassing the .ost file).

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Thank you very much.

I will try this and let you know.

Sorry I couldn't post earlier because the website was under construction. I tried this but still no joy.

I am forwarding the incoming mails to that account to other one and I am getting the new mails to other one.

But this is just the temporary solution. I should get the mails working.

Please help.

Then there is a more serious issue with that mailbox. You might consider exporting the mailbox to .pst files, deleting the mailbox, recreating it, and then importing the data back into it.

Pat Richard MVP

Do you think I may lose the old mails in this process?

I dont want to lose them. I searched Microsoft technet. Found one article to reduce the size of the .ost file if it is more than 2 GB. But they are saying you may loose some mails in this process, and I am really not comfortable with that.

Forget about the .ost file. You're focusing on that way too much. There is nothing in the .ost file that's not in the mailbox.

Yes - croping the file will certainly lead to lost mail.

Pat Richard MVP

Its Working now....

I recreated POP3 connector on exchange server. Set up the new password for that account. and BAMM its working.

Yes I was really thinking too much about the .ost file.
But it all started from corrupted ost file. I really wested time with that.

Thank you very much for all your help and time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back