Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

After relocation, I become either not technical or not business enough 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

shkrly

IS-IT--Management
Mar 21, 2001
AU
Hey,

I read some threads and find they are really helpful. hope to have any advice about my situation.

After relocation to OZ, I find my skills set became either not technical enough for technical role or lack of business industry experience for a business role. My skills mostly focus on supporting with SAS technoloies (in SAS institute) and some project management . I've been using the technology for 5 years.

Having such background, I have difficulty in looking for jobs such as business analyst. Any suggestion to gain a start as BA?

shkrly

Hi shkrly,

welcome to OZ :)

I'm not sure I can help on the technical side of things, but have you used the online jobsearch engines for BA positions in Australia ?

I have found them very successful in my field (foxpro work).

Pete Bloomfield
Down Under

Hi repete,

Thanks a lots, I find these jobsearch engines work really good except that my experience is a bit narrow (in a way).

The tool (SAS) I'm good at is famous in data warehousing project, however, my area of experties focus on OLAP teachnology, with little warehouse experience. I had applied for sas programmer but was told I lack of statitic background.

I find many positions similar with my target jobs, but I may not be able to apply the skills I am good at, so it would be a disadvantage at employers' point of views.

However, still worthy to try. It won't hurt.

Thanks a lot.
shkrly

You might want to figure out which path in your career you want to take. The technical (physical) or business (logical). Then given this, do whatever you can to learn the skills. OJT, self study, extension courses etc.

IMHO unless you are one of the six sigma few, it is difficutl if not impossible to be an outstanding system level programmer and a top nothc business analyst or software manager. So...you have to make a choice. You might want to use your existing skills to SEGWAY into a BA role.
If you get familiar with the Rational Unified Process you have an excellent start as a BA. A Business Analyst slot is not that hard to learn, but requires a lot of "Soft Skills".

A road test your resume with the headhunters to find out what your strengths and weaknesses are. Their input you can use to determine what you need to work on and what you can leverage.

Hope this helps.
G'Luck
Ivan
In not now, when?
If not here, where?
If not us, who?

Just do it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back