Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

After migration, it is significantly slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Mar 31, 2006
US
hi, guys,
thanks for first!
I migrated an open source Switchmap from old BSD to a window XP 2003 server. The program is writen in perl. it is a cisco switchmap software. it took 3.5 hours to complete. but in the new mechine it takes about 9.5 hours to complete.
The only thing i changed in the program is / and \ for path, since the windows uses differently than unix.

What is the problem?
thanks,

Han,

Did you really need to change the slashes?

Checkout perldoc perlport for hints on portable scripts.

Possibly a difference in the way you are forking or using disk access. Did you move to a newer/faster machine or did you just reload your bsd machine with 2k3?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[noevil]
Travis - Those who say it cannot be done are usually interrupted by someone else doing it; Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions;

Hi, Mike,
thanks for the reply. Would you please to elaborate a little "difference in efficiencies between the two operating systems"
I am a newbie,
Thanks again,
Han,

Wardy,
Where can i find these files?
"Checkout perldoc perlport for hints on portable scripts",
thanks,
Han,

Travs, the new machine is windows and much fast.

Hi Han

I don't use Activestate Perl very often and don't have it installed on this computer to test. But I think that perldoc is a command installed with Perl.

Alternatively, you can get the doco all over the web, eg,
A bit of light reading for you but I don't think it's your problem. Still, might be interesting.

Enjoy
~ Michael

You might add some logging to the script and see where it is spending most of it's time and see if there are some improvements that can be made.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[noevil]
Travis - Those who say it cannot be done are usually interrupted by someone else doing it; Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back