Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

After achive, disk space unchanged 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsv

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2002
US
Our Exchange server is starting to run low on space. I had one user archive a large amount of data (about 1 gig) to another server in a ".pst" file. The properties on the mailbox reflect the archive, but the disk space is unchanged.

Is there a place where these messages are still being stored? I have checked the deleted items folder and the "Recover Deleted Items" option in the Outlook Client.

Please advise why the disk space didn't change and what I can do to fix it.

Thanks,
BSV

IF THE AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY HAD EVOLVED THE WAY THAT THE COMPUTER INDUSTRY DID, A ROLLS- ROYCE WOULD COST $100, GET A MILLION MILES TO THE GALLON, AND EXPLODE ONCE A YEAR KILLING EVERYONE INSIDE. – AUTHOR UNKNOWN

the store will not reduce it's size unless you do an offline defrag. make sure there's nothing else you can get rid of first before taking that step though, as it means downtime for your server...

Are you referring to a "normal" disk defrag, or does Exchange have its own utility? This is the first I have heard of using a defrag on an Exhange server, so I want to make sure I do it correctly.

Thanks for the quick response.
- BSV

IF THE AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY HAD EVOLVED THE WAY THAT THE COMPUTER INDUSTRY DID, A ROLLS- ROYCE WOULD COST $100, GET A MILLION MILES TO THE GALLON, AND EXPLODE ONCE A YEAR KILLING EVERYONE INSIDE. – AUTHOR UNKNOWN

exchange has it's own utility/executable named ESEUTIL. Under normal conditions, exchange automatically does an ONLINE defrag on a daily basis. However, this cleaning does not "shrink" the size of the information store, rather, it just clears out unused items so new information can initially populate the store without increasing it's size on disk. Anyway, (sorry for the dissertation) running the OFFLINE defrag will actually shrink the size of the store if there's space available, but you need to stop the exchange services to do so. Check out the ESEUTIL help on your exchange server for the appropriate command line switches and visit MS web site for piles of info....

Thanks for the clarification. I will try it tonight.

Thanks again for your help.
- BSV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back