Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adware.vundo/variant-x32 [header] on NW server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave2008

Technical User
Oct 26, 2007
US
Boss installed the Free Super Antispyware on his XP Pro machine attached to NW 6.5 server. Everytime he runs it he also runs it against server and it finds the Adware.Vundo all over the place in the System Volume under Public. Could this all be false positive?

Probably is accurate. And there is probably no Virus protection on the NetWare server. It's easy for an infected system to further propogate itself to any other file system that is not protected, including NetWare.

Fortunately on NetWare, the OS is very unlikely to be infected, only the files within the file structure. So you can clean it up and be good to go. That said, it's always good to have a good Antivirus on Workstations and Servers alike.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

Have Symantec Corp Edition on NW servers and WinnXP Pro workstations. When I look at the files Antispyware points at they all show old dates like they were never touched. That is why I think its all false positive. Am I looking at it wrong?

Maybe they've been there a while, you could always go to the file system from WIndows Explorer and look at the timestamps directly.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

Thank you
It seems to have finally cleared and I will keep a lookout for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back