Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advise Requested - Building a Home Server using Solaris 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaBaScO77

Technical User
Jul 27, 2008
US
I'm currently a Wintel sysadmin, and I'm relatively new to Unix. I know the basics, and I have been reading up on it. I'll be taking a the 200 level Sun class in August or September. I'll be working with Solaris on an increased basis at work very soon. Since I've been thinking of building a home server for some time I thought it would be a good opportunity (and challenge) to teach myself Solaris by building a server with Solaris 10 for Intel processors.

I would like to setup a server with a RAID mirror. It's mostly going to be a Samba file server, Apache web server, and backup server for all of my home Windows Vista PCs. I'll likely put in two 1 terabite HDDs in it. I might also use it as a VPN server for my home network eventually as a I learn more.

Does anyone have suggestions they could give me on hardware? I prefer to build an ATX compliant clone.

So far this is the motherboard I'm considering:

ANY ADVISE would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back