Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADVISE ON GOOD ANTI VIROUS/ANTI SPAM PROGRAM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhar25

Technical User
May 4, 2001
US
My PC was invaded by Virus and Spam twice in two days.
The second time around I formated the Hard-divide and started all over again and still caught virus within hours.

This never happened to me before. I have been browsing the same site like before which I think are harm less.

I had AVG free version all these days, and this does not seem to install anymore.

According to Sept 2008 Consumer Report " Bi-defender anti-virus program seem to be the No#1 program around, but I cannot find this in any stores like the Best-Buym Staples etc...

Will appreciate your advise based on your experience as to what anti-virus program to purchase.

Thank you in advance.

I'd make sure you have a decent firewall installed as well. Either that or stop downloading dodgy stuff ;-)

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

Nod32 get's my vote (I would also think about running NAT on your router as well as the Windows firewall as a minimum.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

The bottom line is NO product is a substitute for due diligence on the part of the user. Lots of spams now have links to sites that will install something without you knowing it and others contain various ruses (greeting cards, bills, surprise charges to your eBay or Paypal account, or eBay questions about items you haven't sold) which will execute code on your PC if you open them.

DON'T TRUST ANYBODY you don't know, and even IF you get an email from a friend's email address it does not mean that they sent it; spammers work that way.

I like the granularity of the free SpamPal application for spam filtering and agree with Simon about Eset's NOD32.

Tony

Users helping Users...

1. If you're on broadband, you should have a router - if not, you're a sitting duck.
2. You said you formatted, but got a virus right away. If you want to really make sure, backup whatever data you need to keep, and then run this app: - just download and burn the CD .iso file, then boot from that CD. If you don't have a program that will burn ISO files, then you can get the free 3. THEN reinstall Windows, antivirus/antispyware, Windows Update etc. And actually, if your Windows install is pre-SP1 or SP2, then I'd suggest creating a slip-stream install of Windows or else burning SP3 or at least SP2 to a CD before you format, so you can install that before even connecting to the web.
4. In your case, I'd also make sure to get a good firewall. One that is free, yet seems strong (though can be annoying at times) is
But more than any of the above, MAKE SURE you have a router. The brand doesn't really matter all that much if you're getting one for home use, and don't need anything special. It just needs a firewall, which most if not all do now.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Oh, also, if you're using Windows XP, and haven't downloaded Windows Defender, you really ought to.

--

The assistance I have getting on my issue has been just wonderful.

Thanks so much for every one.

I have question for kjv1611, I have wireless router with Verizon FIOS, is it still a problem?

No, a router, whether or not it has wireless capabilities, should have a firewall, so that part should be fine. With that wireless, you'll want to make sure of these things, though:
[ol][li]If you are not using wireless currently, then the wireless capability needs to be disabled.[/li]
[li]Assuming you are using wireless, the SSID should not be broadcast.[/li]
[li]Next step is that any modern wireless hardware should support WPA2 encryption. You need to have that setup so that no one is able to see/read what is being sent between your wireless client(s), aka laptop, pc, Wii, PSP, etc and your router.[/li]
[li]If you want to really ensure your wireless network, you should turn on Mac address filtering, probably under your security tab of your router settings.[/li]
[/ol]

If you are unsure as to how to log into your router, this would probably be a good time to learn how, and get logged in.

First, the easiest way to find out your IP Address of your router is to open a command prompt:
[ol][li]Start Menu[/li]
[li]Run[/li]
[li]Type cmd[/li]
[li]Press <Enter>[/li]
[li]Next, on the black screen, type ipconfig[/li]
[li]Press <Enter>[/li]
[li]The Default Gateway address is/should be the IP address of your router.[/li]
[li]Keep that window where you can see it, or either write down the Default Gateway address. It will be something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.0 or something along those lines.[/li]
[li]Open up a copy of Internet Explorer - or whatever your favorite web browser is (Firefox, AOL Browser, Google Chrome, Apple Safari, etc[/li]
[li]Make sure any operation(s) has/have ceased there - it finished bringing up your home page, for instance.[/li]
[li]Type the Default Gateway address into the address bar, and press <Enter>.[/li]
[li]If you or no one else ever set a password for your router, then it will be one of the defaults, based on manufacturer. Here are a few from memory:
[ul][li]D-Link = Login:admin, Password:<Blank>[/li]
[li]Linksys = Login:<Blank> Password:admin[/li]
[li]Netgear (Most of them) = Login: admin Password: password[/li]
[li]US Robotics - well, the one I've messed with just let you strait in the first time, prompting you to set up your password.[/li][/ul]Whatever the case may be, you can find that information in your user manual or on the manufacturer's website.[/li]
[li]Once in your router settings, you NEED to set a password for your router, so that no one can easily get into your router and change/monitor your settings, history, etc.[/li]
[li]Once that part is finished, then you can make sure your wireless is secure, as listed above.[/li]
[li]One word of caution: the more secure your setup, the more of a headache it will be to maintain. For instance, if you use MAC Address filtering, then anytime you add a new device (friend brings laptop over, or you get a new wireless gaming system, etc), you will have to add their MAC address to the allowed list. You can typically just go into the router settings, and say "allow currently connected", and that will usually do it, assuming the new device is already trying to connect to the router. But it'd be best to make sure there are no strange MAC addresses showing up before just allowing currently connected.[/li][/ol]

Oh, and don't tell me that you have FIOS. That's just gonna make me mad/jealous. [wink]

--

I use NOD32, Tomato Firmware on my Linksys router and the Windows firewall.

That's it. No antispam software. If you're a badboy or other people using your computer are...then maybe you need it.

I haven't been struck by a virus ever and only by spyware in the old days when before I knew better.

Mind your surfing/downloading habits and keep others off your comp or restrict/teach them on DOs and DON'Ts.

----------
IT Admin
Iowa Board of Medicine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back